Ultra Bursary Funding
Our very own bursary scheme, funded by kind donations from external organisations, charities and individuals, allows eligible schools to experience Bletchley Park’s Learning programme for free.
Successful applicants can choose to take advantage of one of the following options per academic year:
- A fully-funded visit to Bletchley Park on our Schools and Universities programme and access to our transport subsidy
- A completely free Enigma Outreach visit to your school
- A completely free Virtual Learning Session broadcast via the internet to your classroom.
The purpose of this funding opportunity is to widen participation and interest in STEM subjects for students who may not otherwise have the chance to take part in enrichment activities in these subjects.
Ultra Transport Subsidy
Educational visitors who are eligible for Ultra Bursary Funding are also eligible to claim up to £5 for each student who visited Bletchley Park.
To claim, please get in touch with your Learning Team representative after your visit, providing a copy of proof of purchase of transportation for the visit that clearly shows the date and amount paid.
Important information and FAQs:
- Cancelled visits may result in the school being invoiced for administrative costs (please see links to T&Cs at the bottom of this page).
- The percentage of Pupil Premium- eligible students who take part in an Ultra Bursary Funded visit must match or exceed the school’s overall percentage of Pupil Premium eligibility.
What are the eligibility criteria?
- To be eligible for an Ultra Bursary Funded visit schools must have a relatively high percentage of Pupil Premium eligibility. The exact percentage required may change based on availability of funding and volume of requests we are receiving.
- Pupil Premium is not the sole criterion used to decide whether a school is eligible, but is usually a good indicator. Eligibility is not guaranteed.
Can I increase the chances of my school being successful?
For Outreach visits only:
- If multiple eligible schools in the same region wish to book consecutive dates this allows us to use our funding more efficiently and to maximise the number of schools we can visit as part of the bursary scheme. It would therefore be a good idea to talk to some other eligible schools in your area and agree on a range of dates that may work for you all.
- This does not change an individual school’s eligibility, but for schools further away it may be that the costs of visiting you is prohibitively high. Visiting multiple schools in the same area dilutes the “per visit” expenses so that we are able to spend more of our limited funding on visits to students who otherwise wouldn’t have the opportunity.
What about situations in which Pupil Premium may not be the best measure of eligibility?
- If you feel you may have a good case for obtaining Ultra Bursary Funding but are not eligible for Pupil Premium funding (or do not have a high level at your school) please do get in touch. Examples of situations in which Ultra Bursary Funding may be provided without Pupil Premium eligibility may include:
- Schools who can provide an equivalent measure, such as Pupil Development Grant in Wales or Pupil Equity Funding in Scotland
- Schools focused on SEND provision
- Hospital schools
How do I request an Ultra Bursary Funded visit?
- Decide whether you would like an on-site visit to Bletchley Park or an Outreach visit to your school and follow the instructions on the appropriate Learning Visit Bookings page, making sure to state:
- That you wish to be considered for an Ultra Bursary Funding;
- The percentage of students at your school who are eligible for Pupil Premium funding (you may be asked to provide evidence of this)
- You will be notified whether your school is eligible for Ultra Bursary Funding before final confirmation of your visit
- If unsuccessful you may choose whether you would like to continue with a paid booking or to cancel your booking without penalty
Other Sources of Funding
The following funding programmes are entirely independent of the Bletchley Park Trust and as such we cannot answer any questions regarding them, nor can we guarantee their availability or eligibility criteria. They are provided here for your information only.
- STEM grants for schools from the Royal Institution