Bletchley Park is just part of the long history of signals intelligence in the UK.
During World War Two it became the top-secret wartime base of the ‘Government Code & Cypher School’ (GC&CS), an organisation that had existed since 1919, combining the signals intelligence activities of the Army and of the Royal Navy.
After the end of the war, this organisation continued, leaving its home at Bletchley Park for London, and later Cheltenham, and was officially renamed ‘Government Communication Headquarters’, today known as GCHQ.
This new display traces its peacetime transition ‘From GC&CS to GCHQ’, featuring photographs, never-before-displayed objects and little-known stories of Bletchley Park Codebreakers who continued to work for GCHQ post-war. This includes talented cryptanalysts like Margaret Rock and Hugh Alexander, alongside less well-known names such as Sir Eric Jones and Sir Arthur Bonsall, who both went on to become Directors of GCHQ.
The exhibition is free with entry to the museum.
Background photo: A teleprinter room at Eastcote, GCHQ, 1949. Crown copyright. Reproduced with kind permission, Director GCHQ.